Should you build your own website?
As an online band consultant and web designer, I will tell you that you absolutely can build your own website. The question is: should you?
There are numerous products and services out there that will help you build your own website. You don’t need to know any code and you can click, drag, and drop and get a website very quickly. Who wouldn’t love that?
That’s where most entrepreneurs get it wrong.
Your success online is not about getting your website up. It’s about building the right website for your business. No drag-and-drop tool is going to do this for you. Building a successful website is not about implementation, it’s about planning. Planning takes time.
I’ve written a whole blog post about planning your website, but if you want a brief summary, here it is:
- What exactly do you want your website to do for your business?
- Who are you trying to attract?
- What do you want those people to do on your website? How?
- How will you know if your website is successful?
Planning entails knowing the answers to these questions before you decide on the platform, colors, images or text.
Many website builders will put the ‘cart before the horse’ and force you to use a predefined template or layout. You may be restricted to what you can achieve technically, but there are some benefits to building your own website, if you choose to do so.
When you could build your own website
You can build your own website using Wix, Squarespace, WordPress, or any other platform. What you decide on will be determined by your own comfort level and technical ability. You will need to put the time into researching the best platform for your business. Each has its own learning curve.
Generally speaking, the easier the platform is to use, the less flexibility you have to customize it.
Building your own website might be right for you if:
- You are very comfortable with technology. (A basic knowledge of HTML helps too)
- You have at least 40 hours to commit to setting up the site. (Trust me, it takes that long!)
- You don’t have the budget to hire a designer.
- You have a solid understanding of how to brand yourself online.
- You are not easily frustrated.
- You are a brand new business owner testing the waters.
- You’ve completed all of your other business tasks and are not delayed by working on your own website.
Or maybe you are a nerd (like me) that really enjoys building websites. 🙂
When you are better off hiring a web designer
Opportunity costs are defined as the opportunities you lose as the result of choosing to do something else. So let me ask you:
How much time have you already spent on your website? What have you given up in order to do it yourself?
If you are like me, you like to be in control. However, there’s freedom in delegating. You will get your time (and sanity) back to do what you do best.
Are you really closed for business because your site’s not live? Luckily that’s an easy problem to solve. Just hire someone and get it off your plate.
You might benefit from a web designer if you:
- Dislike technology (or spending hours on something you don’t want to do)
- Haven’t done anything else while working on your website. (No marketing, no client work, nada!)
- Have a website, but you hate what you’ve built thus far
- Generally unhappy with the restrictions that website builders impose on you
- Want to look more legitimate online.
- Already spent more than 40 hours and you are still stuck!
Or if you are generally just like:
The bottom line
You need to take an assessment of your skill level, the current state of your business, and what you want to achieve. Another added benefit of hiring a web designer is that you get a professional (and objective) assessment of your business. Your designer is your partner in your online success.
Do you want to know what working together could look like? Contact me for a free strategy call. Let’s spend 30 minutes together talking about your website, your online presence, and even your business goals.
I’m waiting to ease your frustration. (Making web design let frustrating since 1998)
Kimberly Inez Mays
Online Brand Strategist, Founder
With over 10 years of web design and development experience, I help entrepreneurs build and grow their online brands. I love everything tech and can’t wait to help you shine online!
I currently reside in NYC with my 2 selfish cats and I’m addicted to caffeine (which helps with the late night coding).
Fun fact: My initials are K.I.M 🙂